Speak Your Truth

Yesterday I left a message on FB about something that had been bothering me for a while.


I had been ignoring it because I used to often be accused of being a whiner, a complainer, a trouble maker. But I could feel myself rebelling at keeping quiet. I have been very outspoken when it comes to suicide and yesterday I talked about  how when people make flippant comments that are thoughtless it seriously bugs me.

What made me feel better was that instead of anyone coming back to tell me I was being oversensitive, my friends were greatly supportive and agreed with me. It made me realize that if I speak up it creates space for someone else to the same. And if you speak up, it helps create space for the rest of us.

This is the reason that I talk about this subject so passionately: at 19, my brother felt so bad about his life, so hopeless that he chose to hang himself. So to me, joking that you'll kill yourself if you don't get fancy shoes, art supplies or some pretty frill makes me queasy.

And keeping silent makes me even more so.

My question for you is, what are you keeping silent about that would make you feel better if you talked about? And what assumption are you making about how those around you will respond? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment