A Curious Girl Tastes Honey

 "The color and flavor of honey differ depending on the bees’ nectar source (the blossoms)." From Honey.com

Honey Tasting, lightest to darkest

As life long education junkie I love information, especially when it comes with stories and is packaged with good food and fun people.
This week I had the chance to join the National Honey Board's tasting and what fun! Chef David Guas of Bayou Bakery came to San Francisco on a Honey tour to walk us through the tasting, talk about his honey collection and share some very tasty recipes with us. 

almond butter with crunchies
Honey Almond Crunch
 I like honey a lot but I had forgotten that it has such magical properties like being antimicrobial, antioxidant, and hygroscopic. Honey helps keep your baked goods fresh longer, can give you a great energy boost and comes in various forms including honeycomb, liquid and whipped. Chef David shared stories of his love of honey, how he creates recipes that please various palates, including his discerning kids, and all the things you can with the many varietals.

I got my first taste of Tupelo honey, which was sweeter and not as exciting as imagined. Blueberry, less sweet and creamy. Eucalyptus was woodsy. Sourwood was, for me, syrupy in texture and a bit floral. Buckwheat is dark with a chocolaty texture. The Avocado honey was nutty and complex.

We were lucky enough to also get to taste Honey-candied bacon, crunchy slightly sweet goodness....

Honey and Whole Grain Mustard Glazed Pork Chop, so moist and tender it  makes me realize I need to brine something, stat.

Saving the best for last we were also treated to Honey-Lemon Cheesecake pops.These babies are creamy, rich and best of all for those of you with egg allergies, egg free!


I look forward to diving in and get more acquainted with the many different honeys that exist and seeing what wonderful combinations I can come up with, both sweet and savory. I think we might to experiment with some cocktails....

Special thanks to the National Honey Board for having us and Ketchum for hosting!

1 comment:

  1. yum sounds great! since my roomie and i gave up refined sugar, we eat a lot of honey. i love avocado and buckwheat honeys. he loves it so much he goes through about a jar a week, with only a little help from me! lol.

    ReplyDelete