Little Rags Soup for One

When I read it, I thoroughly enjoyed Cooking for Mr. Latte: A Food Lover's Courtship, with Recipes by Amanda Hesser and from it now have one of my favorite quick, easy lunch or snack recipes. Stracciatelle or Little Rags soup, is called that because of the ragged looking appearance of the egg if you work it properly. The trick is to keep it moving and not let it overcook. To me it's a wonderfully satisfying dish and sates any number of hungers.

 

If you have never tried the Pecorino Riserva, it is one of my all time favorite cheeses. It has a sweet nuttiness that goes well with the saltiness of the chicken broth. I have adapted Ms. Hesser's recipe solely to reflect a serving for one and omitted the garlic because I didn't have any (really I have no clue where it goes off to!). I also happen to adore sheep's milk cheese, but you are certainly welcome to use Parmigiana as is called for in the book:

 

1 1/4 c chicken broth 

1 egg 

2 tbsp Pecorino Riserva, coarsely chopped or grated 

Make sure you have all your ingredients and utensils ready as this recipe tends to move pretty fast! 

 

Simmer the broth. Whisk egg and cheese together. Remove the broth from the heat and slowly add the egg mixture. Ms. Hesser swirls the pan, but my trick is to use one chopstick and swirl it gently through the mixture as I pour in the egg. 

I do hope that not only will you give this recipe a try, but that you will read the book as well. 

 

Word of warning though, it will make you hungry!And I never loan out my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment